Please allow me to introduce myself.
MBBS, University of Adelaide 1978
B.Med.Sc(Hons, NeuroAnatomy), University of Adelaide 1974
Clinical Associate Professor, Acute Care Medicine, University of Adelaide
Fellow, Governor’s Leadership Foundation, 2009
Graduate, Generating Transformative Change, Pacific Integral, 2012
You could dig into the details on linked-in
I currently work 6/10 as a staff anaesthetist at the Women’s and Children’s Hospital in Adelaide, South Australia.
I have worked here as a paediatric anaesthetist for 25 years, 5 years as director.
My remaining time is devoted to Medical Leadership at clinical and professional levels.
The practical application is through education and programs on communication & teamwork for health workers in general and doctors in particular:
- TeamSTEPPS, a general program for health teams, delivered by SA Health, faculty consultant, Master Trainer
- Non Technical skills for Surgeons (NOTTS), a human factors program specific to surgeons, delivered by RACS, facilitator.
- Training in Professional Skills (TIPS), a communication program specific to surgeons, delivered by RACS, facilitator.
- Teaching on the Run, teaching health professionals to teach, Accredited Facilitator.
- Australian Simulator Educator and Technician Training (AusSETT), now the National Health Education and Training in Simulation (NHET-Sim)
Welfare and organisation of doctors in South Australia.
Over the last 4 years I have served on the Council of the South Australian Salaried Medical Officers Association (SASMOA) in the positions of Vice President, President, and Immediate Past President.
In my year as president I initiated closer ties with the AMA SA branch, resulting in a memorandum of understanding between our two organisations.
I also developed closer ties with Doctors Health SA, to ensure their services were aligned with the needs of salaried medical officers. Part of my interest in the health of doctors. See the Aging Anaesthetist.
I am currently on the councils of SASMOA and the AMA in south Australia,
My current research interest is centred on dual process theory. And there are a couple of blog entries in this category. The article on dual process theory in surgery gives a simple introduction and application.